Hull Funeral Service traces its beginning back to the late Henry T. Kyle. Mr. Kyle graduated embalming school in 1915 and operated the Henry F. Kyle Funeral Chapel in Bethel for many years.
John H. Hull, Sr., a native of Bristol, CT and a 1925 graduate of Cincinnati College of Embalming, joined Mr. Kyle in 1935. In 1937, he bought the building on Division St., Danbury and Hull Funeral Service began. It was first known as the Kyle-Hull Funeral Home, until Mr. Kyle’s retirement in 1939. After Mr. Kyle’s retirement Mr. Hull found it necessary to close the Bethel chapel and operate only one location in Danbury.
In 1951, Mr. Hull’s son Robert J. Hull, returned from the Cincinnati College of Mortuary Science to join his father in business, and a year later, in 1952, they opened the current location of the Bethel Funeral Home. In 1955, son John H. Hull, Jr., also a graduate from CCMS, joined the firm. Hull Funeral Service was incorporated in 1957.
In 1972, the business was expanded with the acquisition of the Peelan & Planz Colonial Funeral Home, in New Milford, CT.
John H. Hull, Sr. died in 1982, shortly before grandson Jeffrey Hull, was to begin formal training at CCMS to continue as the third generation in the family business. He began his career as a licensed Funeral Director in 1984. Robert Hull retired in 1989, and remained active as a consultant until his death in 1994, passing on his former role of manager and CEO to nephew Jeff. After retiring in 1998, John Hull, Jr. remained active in a consultant role for his son and the business until his death in 2005.